My journey began as a poor little boy who was raised in St. Louis, Missouri where I learned that failure is not determined by one’s setbacks, but by one’s unwillingness to fight back. I was born into poverty and was raised by my single-parent mother as the second youngest child out of eight. I dreamed of being a doctor who would help people heal. That is where I started 47 years ago.
Today, I am the only doctor in my family and have extensive training and experience in trauma recovery, resilience building and empathy development. I have treated, trained and coached over 30,000 individuals, couples, families, parents and leaders from around the world.
I exchanged a lifestyle filled with hardship and trauma to a lifestyle filled with prosperity and happiness.
Where I came from…
- Second youngest of eight children
- Raised by my single-parent mother in St. Louis, MO in the Ghetto
- My once a month visiting father told me that I was not his son when I was 10 years old; never saw him again
- Grew-up in a one-bedroom apartment without hot water or heat
- Did not have a bathtub
- Used a woodstove and kerosene heater to keep warm
- Wore secondhand clothes
- Witnessed the negative aspects of violence and mental illness
- Shared my sleeping space with rats and roaches
- My mother passed due to cancer when I was 17 years old
- Financial Hardship – did not have two pennies to rub together
- Totaled my car after falling asleep while driving on the highway headed to college my freshman year
- Was robbed at gunpoint while visiting the library during college break my sophomore year
- My 17-year-old nephew, 35-year-old cousin and 22-year-old friend were murdered while I was in college
What I did…
- Beat the odds
- Managed to graduate from Jackson State University, Michigan State University
- Became a doctor so that I can help people overcome their hardships.
- Became a successful businessman so that I can help other mental health professionals do the same while also creating a financial legacy for my children.
- Won 2012 Senior Social Worker of the Year from United States Public Health Service.
- Received 6 United States Air Force Commendation Medals.
- Received a National Defense Service Medal.
- Received a Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.
- Received a Presidential Unit Citation in response to the Ebola outbreak.
- 2017 DMV Entrepreneur of the Year from Wes Adams’ State’s Attorney Office
My Business Acumen
What I Own…
- CEO, Buckingham Consulting Group, LLC
- CEO, The Empathy and Resilience Center, Inc. 501 (3) (c)
- Founder, Business Academy for Social Workers & Counselors (BASWC)
- Founder, You Deserve More Community
- Founder, R.E.A.L Therapy
- President, R.E.A.L. Cleaning Solutions
- Author x 12
- Filmmaker x 4
My Personal Life
Why I Fight the Good Fight…
- Married to my God-sent wife, Sandia
- Father to my “Whys’ – Dwayne Jr. and Layla
How I Give Back…
The Empathy and Resiliency Center is my nonprofit 501(c) (3), faith-based organization that provides easily accessible and donation-based behavioral health services to active duty military members, veterans, African Americans, Latino Americans, Hispanic Americans and other disadvantaged adults and youth suffering from emotional distress.
Awards & Medals for Serving…
- 2020 – COVID-19 Pandemic Campaign Medal
- 2020 – NEPA
- 2017-2019 – 4 Unit Citations
- 2017 – Outstanding Unit Citation
- 2016 – Outstanding Unit Citation
- 2015 – Presidential Unit Citation
- 2015 – Joint Service Achievement Medal
- 2014 – Response Service Award
- 2013 – Joint Service Achievement Medal
- 2013 – Joint Service Commendation Medal
- 2012 – USPHS Commendation Medal
- 2012 – USPHS Unit Commendation
- 2010 – USPHS Regular Corps Ribbon
- 2010 USPHS Special Assignment Award
- 2009 USPHS Unit Commendation
- 2009 USPHS Crisis Response Service
- 2009 USPHS Commendation Medal
- 2006 USPHS Training Ribbon
- 2006 – USAF Commendation Medal
- 2005 – Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
- 2005 – USAF Commendation Medal
- 2004 – Air Force Overseas Ribbon
- 2004 – USAF Commendation Medal
- 2003 – National Defense Service Medal
- 2002 – Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
- 2002 – Air Force Overseas Ribbon
- 2002- USAF Commendation Medal
- 2001 – Global War on Terrorism Medal (Service)
- 2001 – Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
- 2000- USAF Commendation Medal
- 1998- Air Force Training Ribbon
CAPT Dwayne L. Buckingham
Promotion to 06